Wednesday, October 27, 2010

More Electroforming on Copper

Here are some more experiments.  These are done on reject clay pieces just to see how the process works and how to control it.

For some reason the edges of the copper turned up on this one.  Not sure why.  I don't like the back at all. 

Front
Back


Front

Back


Front

Back
I like to do post earrings so attaching the wire that the object hangs from was a challenge but I finally figured it out. 

All of the copper coatings above are very thin and flat.  Next I'm going to put some of them back in the solution and leave them there much longer.  Also, I'm going to experiment with liver of sulfur and some patinas.  I've never used them before so this should be interesting.  I kind of like the shiny copper color and would coat the copper with a sealant if I wanted to preserve it that way.

I think the reason most electroforming you see on glass beads and vessels is very rough or irregular - that corroded look I mentioned in the last post- is that it is very difficult to get the paint perfectly even and smooth, at least using a brush.  I just wanted to try it and see what I could get.  I did learn that I need to round edges and use slightly thicker paint.  Also, the wire that must touch the paint becomes embedded and when you remove it, it leaves a mark.  Moving the wire a couple of times during the process can help with that, but it's a nuisance.

1 comment:

  1. Nice work Cynthia. It looks like you've managed to teach yourself quite a bit over the last few weeks!!

    ReplyDelete